Northern Maine Medical Center is a modern, fully accredited, 49 bed acute care facility offering complete obstetric, surgical, pediatric, and general medical services. Northern Maine Medical Center also provides a state-of-the-art equipped 6-bed Intensive Care Unit for critically ill patients and offers the only Child, Adolescent and Adult inpatient Psychiatric Units in Northern Maine.
Although currently known as Northern Maine Medical Center, the hospital was formerly called Peoples Benevolent Hospital. The first section was opened in 1952 with an addition in 1971. The dedicated Catholic Order of Sisters, “Les Petites Franciscaines de Marie,” managed the hospital from its inception to 1975 when it became a public community hospital. Ultimately, Northern Maine Medical Center belongs to the 15,000 people in the hospital’s service area , the Upper St. John Valley and neighboring communities.