Northern Light A.R. Gould Hospital
A Certified Nursing Assistant is responsible for providing patient care under the direction of a Registered Nurse. Assists patients with activities of daily living and assists in the maintenance of a safe, clean environment for patients on the rehab unit. S/he must have a basic understanding of the fundamentals of Rehabilitation.
1. Provide safe and efficient direct patient care under the direction of the RN.
2. Keep charge nurse informed of the patient's status and changes as well as problems.
3. Participate in department performance improvement activities.
4. Comply with mandated hospital and department education programs.
5. Accept responsibility for professional growth and development.
6. Demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy and objectives of the TAMC organization. Practice and encourage Service Excellence.
7. Age specific standards: The individual in this position must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span of the patient. In addition, s/he must possess the ability to assess patient data relative to age specific needs and provide care as described in the department's policies.
8. Excellent documentation skills with the ability to learn and incorporate FIM charting.
9. Demonstrate proficiency with patient transfers.
10. Demonstrate an understanding of adaptive equipment and how it is used.
1. Perform other work-related duties, within their scope of practice, as assigned.
1. Active and in good standing on the Maine CNA registry.
1. Variable work schedule requires day, evening, and night work as well as weekends and holidays.
EDUCATION, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
1. Successful completion of an approved CNA program..
2. BLS Certification
3. Must be able to read and write with proficiency to accomplish all CNA responsibilities.
4. Prior experience is not required.
5. Must maintain annual educational requirements of 12 hours and work an 8 hour shift in a 2 year period to maintain registry status.
6. FIM credentialing within orientation period
PHYSICAL DEMAND REQUIREMENTS
1. Able to sit for 1-3 hours per day.
2. Able to stand and/or walk 4-7 hours/ /day.
3. Able to lift over 50 pounds using proper body mechanics.
4. Able to twist 500 1000 times per day.
5. Able to bend 130-480 times per day.
6. Able to squat/kneel 1-3 hours/day (need not be continuous).
7. Able to endure high energy requirements. (7-9 mets)
8. Able to have wrists deviate from neutral position.
9. Able to show ability to make skillful coordinate manual dexterity.
10. Able to use both hands 70%-100% of job cycle with frequent fine motor skills.
11. Require corrected vision must be at least 20/30 in both eyes (near and far). Able to distinguish between red/green and blue/violet colors. Able to demonstrate accurate depth perception.
12. Able to hear a whispered voice at eight feet.
13. Able to speak clearly 8 - 10 hours a day.
14. Frequent exposure to infections that can cause significant morbidity and/or mortality
15. Able to push/pull equipment several time a day. (i.e. lift chairs, scales, Hoyer lift)
1. Able to work in 70-80 environments.
2. Able to tolerate moderate exposure to water/dampness.
3. Occasional work on slippery surfaces.
4. Occasional work where surfaces are uneven,
5. Slight chance of exposure to non-ionized radiation (Microwaves).
6. Occasional exposure to ionized radiation (x-rays)
7. Frequent exposure to voices, bells, buzzers, routine noises and occasional loud sounds.
8. Slight likelihood of significant traumatic injury (i.e., lacerations, contusions, abrasions, fractures).
9. Slight likelihood of significant injury from moving objects (i.e., wheelchairs, geri chairs, Hoyer lift).
10. Frequent likelihood of exposure to toxic/infectious conditions.
11. Able to work with others; close association is frequent and comprises a major portion of the job.
12. Able to self pace work so that assignments are completed in a designated time span.
13. Able to extend work hours beyond twelve hours per shift, on occasion.
1. Continuously utilizes appropriate judgment.
2. Must be able to add, subtract, multiply, divide, perform fractions, and calculate percentages.
3. Must be able to read and comprehend greater than grade 10 level of instruction.
1. Must remain calm and exercise self-control in working relationships with patients, staff, and visitors.
2. Works directly with persons who are or may become ill, disabled, or may be dying; may be present at the death bed and have to care for the body of the deceased; must possess skills to cope with stresses associated with illness, disability, dying, and death.
INTERPERSONAL SKILLS REQUIRED
1. Willingness to work cooperatively is necessary.
2. Strong public relations and customer satisfaction motivation.
The above specifications represent the summary requirements of this position, which are subject to revision at any time.
Casual Part Time (TAMC)