Northern Light A.R. Gould Hospital
A Certified Nursing Assistant is responsible for providing patient care underthe direction of a Registered Nurse.Assists patients with activities of daily living and assists in the maintenanceof a safe, clean environment for patients on the MST floor. S/he must have a basic understanding of thefundamentals of Medical, Surgical, and Telemetry patients.
1. Provide safe and efficient direct patientcare under the direction of the RN.
2. Keep charge nurse informed of the patient'sstatus and changes as well as problems.
3. Participate in department performanceimprovement activities.
4. Comply with mandated hospital anddepartment education programs.
5. Accept responsibility for professionalgrowth and development.
6.Demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy and objectives of theorganization.
7.Age specific standards: Theindividual in this position must demonstrate knowledge of the principles ofgrowth and development over the life span of the patient. In addition, s/he must possess the ability toassess patient data relative to age specific needs and provide care asdescribed in the department's policies.
8. Excellentdocumentation skills with the ability to learn and incorporate electronicdocumentation.
9. Demonstrate proficiency with patienttransfers.
10. Demonstrate an understanding of adaptiveequipment and how it is used.
1.Perform other work-related duties,within their scope of practice, as assigned.
1.Active and in good standing on the Maine CNAregistry or registry eligible at time of orientation start date.
1.Variablework schedule requires day, evening, and night work as well as weekends andholidays.
EDUCATION, SKILLS, EXPERIENCEREQUIREMENTS:
1.Successful completion of an approved CNAprogram, and registry eligible at time of hire.
2. BLS is requiredwithin the first week of employment. Employees must maintain CPR certificationthroughout employment when in a clinical position.
3. Must be able toread and write with proficiency to accomplish all responsibilities.
4. De-escalationand workplace violence training will be completed at hire prior to release fromorientation. Employees must complete the required Management of AggressiveBehavior (MOAB) program within 6 months of hire and maintain currentcertification throughout their employment in the high or moderate risk role.
PHYSICAL DEMAND REQUIREMENTS:
1. Able to sit for 1-3 hours per day.
2. Ableto stand and/or walk 5-9 hours/ day.
3. Ableto lift over 50 pounds using proper body mechanics.
4. Ableto twist 500 1000 times per day.
5. Ableto bend 130-480 times per day.
6. Ableto squat/kneel 1-3 hours/day (need not be continuous).
7. Ableto endure high energy requirements. (7-9mets)
8. Ableto have wrists deviate from neutral position.
9. Ableto show ability to make skillful coordinate manual dexterity.
10. Ableto use both hands 70%-100% of job cycle with frequent fine motor skills.
11.Require corrected vision must be at least 20/30 in both eyes (near andfar). Able to distinguish betweenred/green and blue/violet colors. Ableto demonstrate accurate depth perception.
12. Ableto hear a whispered voice at eight feet.
13. Ableto speak clearly 8 - 10 hours a day.
14. Frequentexposure to infections that can cause significant morbidity and/or mortality
15. Ableto push/pull equipment several time a day.(i.e. lift chairs, scales, Hoyer lift)
1. Ableto work in 70-80 environments.
2. Ableto tolerate moderate exposure to water/dampness.
3. Occasionalwork on slippery surfaces.
4. Occasionalwork where surfaces are uneven,
5. Slightchance of exposure to non-ionized radiation (Microwaves).
6. Occasionalexposure to ionized radiation (x-rays)
7. Frequentexposure to voices, bells, buzzers, routine noises and occasional loud sounds.
8. Slightlikelihood of significant traumatic injury (i.e., lacerations, contusions,abrasions, fractures).
9. Slightlikelihood of significant injury from moving objects (i.e., wheelchairs, gerichairs, Hoyer lift).
10. Frequentlikelihood of exposure to toxic/infectious conditions.
11. Ableto work with others; close association is frequent and comprises a majorportion of the job.
12. Ableto self pace work so that assignments are completed in a designated time span.
13. Ableto extend work hours beyond twelve hours per shift, on occasion.
1. Continuouslyutilizes appropriate judgment.
2. Mustbe able to add, subtract, multiply, divide, perform fractions, and calculatepercentages.
3. Mustbe able to read and comprehend greater than grade 10 level of instruction.
1. Mustremain calm and exercise self-control in working relationships with patients,staff, and visitors.
2. Worksdirectly with persons who are or may become ill, disabled, or may be dying; maybe present at the death bed and have to care for the body of the deceased; mustpossess skills to cope with stresses associated with illness, disability,dying, and death.
INTERPERSONAL SKILLS REQUIRED
1. Willingness to work cooperatively isnecessary.
2. Strongpublic relations and customer satisfaction motivation.