Northern Light A.R. Gould Hospital
Safety and accuratelyprepares/administers routine oral and/or topical, ordered by a physician under the direction of a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse. Assists residents/patients with daily activities. Provides personal care, comfort, and assists in the maintenance of a safe, clean environment for an assigned group of residents/patients.
1. Provide safe and efficient direct resident/patient care as assigned.
2. Keep charge nurse informed of resident/patient status and changes as well as problems.
3. Perform other work-related duties, within their scope of practice, as assigned.
Variable work schedule requires day, evening, and night work as well as weekends and holidays.
EDUCATION, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
1. Successful completion of an approved CNA program with not less than 150 hours of instruction.
2. Currently active on the CNA registry.
3. Successful completion of a Certified Medication Assistant course with not less than 120 hours.
4. Must be able to read and write with proficiency to accomplish all CNA-M/CNA responsibilities.
5. Prior experience is not required.
6. Must meet the requirementsfor placement on the Maine CNA-M/CNA Registry.
7. BLS is required within the first week ofemployment. Employees must maintain CPR certification throughout employment when in a clinical position.
8. De-escalation and work place violence training will be completed at hire prior to release from orientation.
PHYSICAL DEMAND REQUIREMENTS
1. Able to sit 1-3 hours/day
2. Able to stand and/or walk4-7 hours/ /day.
3. Able to lift over 50 pounds using proper body mechanics.
4. Able to twist 130-480 times per day.
5. Able to bend 130-480 times per day.
6. Able to squat/kneel 1-3 hours/day (need not be continuous).
7. Able to endure high energy requirements.
8. Able to have wrists deviate from neutral position.
9. Able to show ability to make skillful coordinate manual dexterity.
10. Able to use both hands70%-100% of job cycle with frequent fine motor skills.
11. Require corrected vision must be at least 20/30 in both eyes (near and far).
12. Able to distinguish between red/green and blue/violet colors.
11. Able to demonstrate accurate depth perception.
12. Able to hear a whispered voice at eight feet.
13. Able to speak clearly 4-8hours a day.
14. Able to tolerate moderate exposure to infections.
15. Able to push/pull medication cart several times a day during medication passes.
1. Able to work in 65-85environments.
2. Able to tolerate moderate exposure to water/dampness.
3. Occasional work on slippery surfaces.
4. Occasional work where surfaces are uneven
5. Slight chance of exposure to non-ionized radiation (Microwaves).
6. Occasional exposure toionized radiation (x-rays)
7. Occasional exposure to fairly loud noises.
8. Slight likelihood of significant traumatic injury (i.e., lacerations, contusions, abrasions,fractures).
9. Slight likelihood of significant injury from moving objects (i.e., wheelchairs, geri chairs, Hoyerlift, medication cart).
10. Moderate likelihood of exposure to toxic conditions.
11. Able to work with others; close association is frequent and comprises a major portion of the job.
12. Able to self pace work sothat assignments are completed in a designated time span.
13. Able to extend work hours beyond eight hours per shift, on occasion.
1. Continuously utilizes appropriate judgment.
2. Must be able to add,subtract, multiply, divide, perform fractions, and calculate percentages.
3. Must be able to read and comprehend greater than grade 10 level of instruction.
1. Must remain calm and exercise self-control in working relationships with residents, staff, and visitors.
2. Works directly with persons who are or may become ill, disabled, or dying on a regular basis; may be present at the death bed and have to care for the body of the deceased; must possess skills to cope with stresses associated with illness, disability,dying, and death.